Monday, September 21, 2009

Haircut in a lightning storm

When thunderstorms attack, Zhuhai seems like a warzone. The whole city lights up with white flashes of daytime. You can tell when a storm is coming because, even tho it's not raining, it seems like fireworks are going off. Then the wind picks up and you hear distant rumbling, and a sheet of rain drops hard from the sky. These shots are looking out onto the harbour.

Photobucket
Photobucket

I was walking to the Jesco, local massive grocery store, in the lightning storm, when i thought I'd get a haircut. Walked in, made the motions of cutting my hair in the local hair cutting establishment. I was taken past different rooms and halls into the back where I laid down on a table. I made the motions for haircut again. I don't know enough mandarin to understand what the girl had said. She started to wash my hair, and i thought, oh, good. haircut. Then she stuck her fingers in my ear and massaged my neck.
This turned out to be the precedings of an actual haircut, but after 40 minutes of massage, going lower and lower on my body, i was beginning to get worried. No Happy Ending, thankfully.

Tomorrow I'm going with my chinese teacher assistant to buy train tickets to Hohhot, Inner Mongolia. One day and 15 hours of riding in a hard sleeper by myself, I think i might get bored. I'll learn a lot of mandarin, i'm sure :) My break is coming up, just about two weeks off school, starting sunday. Sand surfing and riding camels await, and the stars, i've heard so much about the stars.

Photobucket

1 October 2009 marks the 60th anniversary for china. lots of fireworks, food, photos, and dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment