Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ocean

Taking bus 99 down Lover's Road, within view of the ocean the entire time, I stopped to view a 10 foot stone sculpture of the Fisher Woman, meant in ancient times to wait for the return of fisherman. Actually, I'm sure this superstition is still upheld with current generations of fisherman. Another nice day, but it's so hazey here that you can barely see anything more than a few hundred feet away. If there are clouds in the sky, you cannot see them unless they're directly in front of the sun. Every day hundreds of people visit this sculpture, so it's quite popular. It is the image of Zhuhai.
Photobucket
Further down I found what many people do here in China: buy a bunch of crap and try to resell it. Jewelry, statuettes, lawn gnomes, and shoes are primarily what can be found on the street, sometimes for a cheaper price; authenticity is still a question. You may find Niek shoes anywhere.
Photobucket
My destination was the beach, a twenty minute bus ride down the ocean. Unfortunately I have yet to find a clean beach, as this one was littered with broken shells and glass, condom wrappers, and flotsam. Vaguely there was a smell of wet cardboard. A handful of locals were swimming, but the four other white people ( I think they were British) and myself stayed clear of the water, which had large flotsam and was a murky brown. The tide changes the water depth about eight feet at maximum, and sometimes the waves are a few feet high. I'm still waiting for a typhoon to bring waves that I can play in.
Speaking of, Typhoon Lupit has pulled its tail between its legs and run away. It probably won't even hit Taiwan now, and has decreased to barely a category 1.
As I took the bus back from the beach, I noticed another crab had begun to ransack a beach restaurant. These little guys have become an infestation on the southern coast and locals can't seem to control them. Luckily the bus had already left.
Photobucket
Went to Jida township with Heather and Kristen for supper, bowl of noodlemeatvegetable. Cheapest place yet to have supper, just 10 kwai each (1.3 CAD) (with beer) Gellato followed, banana and chocolate ecstacy, which was very delicious, but more expensive than supper for a much smaller proportion. Worth it.
Finally, I wanted to demonstrate how Zhuhai is a fishing port, but showing the difference between the street outside my apartment. The first half is at 3 in the afternoon; the latter at 4am.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment