Tuesday, December 1, 2009

First of December

Happy first December at plus 20 degrees!

The beach soundtrack seems appropriate as I remember this evening, Moby and all that. After a lovely day at the beach (although it was a bit windy), I had a great evening.
When Chinese people go to the beach, they do so in suits and dresses. The particular beach I was at today, a place I call Sands beach, regularily has photo shoots for newly wed couples. This afternoon I was the mode of interest for beach goers and Married-makers alike, even becoming a part of the photo shoot once for the latter. It's been very smoggy lately, so there isn't much to be seen on the ocean's horizon, but with a UV index of 6, it's still adequate for a suntan. (in december)
This was taken on Saturday, as I left for class at 7 am. It seems I've fallen into a routine lately, waking up earlier than I would have in Canada, around 8 am. I guess I'm getting old.
Photobucket

Tonight I left for Gongbei to meet John, my co-worker, his girlfriend, and Matt and Alyssa, from America, for Go Kart Racing. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera, but let me tell you.
We all sat around drinking a beer, to liven things up, as we watched three Chinese drivers take the curves. This was an underground racing circuit with fast cart cars. The track took about a minute to finish at our fastest, and with curves was approximately 500 m long. I could be very wrong on my estimation.
We put our helmets on, and took off. I was m'f-ing Tokyo drifting, alright. This was such fun, I think it will become a weekly mainstay for us, overtaking each other, screeching around corners, and losing control. In China, there is a saying among us foreigners: There are no rules here. Therefor we can do whatever we want; crash into the tires that surround the track, into each other, go as fast as we want, endless.
40 kwai for ten minutes (which did feel like a while), or about 7.50 CAD.
We took a walk down Walking Street to a place John had dranken snake blood and Baijo (the local hard liquor). The reason for this: live snakes (in cages). Vipers, Kraits, Sea serpents, and other snakes I couldn't recognize lay in cages for the curious to behold. It was a draw in for business, and it worked on me. Although the shop wasn't busy, after we stayed to drink beer and chat, it opened up with customers.
Being white, I can take advantage of some great things here in China. As well, however, I am also taken advantage of. While sitting down in this open restaurant, our group was approached by seven people throughout the night who wanted to polish our shoes for three kwai. In addition, three people who wanted to sell us roses for our 'girlfriends', but one of them came back repeatedly, I think. They were very persistant, and even when we ignored them they still usually did not go away. It's fun in these situations to say things in English, and know they would not realise what was said.
Partially through our stay here, I looked outside to see the owner had lifted out a snake from its cage, cut its head off, and drained its blood into a shot glass. The body still writhing minutes after decapitation, John told me it was an expensive delicacy to order a snake that cost upwards of 400 kwai, drink its blood and eat its flesh. One day I will try this, merely because its available, but that night was not tonight.
I shared a taxi home with the Americans, after getting sugar cane/bamboo (I'm not sure what it was, or if there is a difference) to try. It was fibrous, and filled with sugar water. Again, something in China I'm glad I tried, but not willing to get again.
Photobucket

This week is chock full of fun stuff. Tomorrow I'll finish climbing Phoenix Mountain, this time with Laura, and with more daylight. Hopefully, I'll run into a snake so I can drain its blood! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment